Wednesday 14 October 2009

Cleaning...

My girlfriend indicated not so long ago that not only did I own alot of stuff, but that this stuff was somewhat strategically strewn about my house. I don't think I have that much stuff - the usual crap in cupboards and drawers, but I don't actually recall putting most of this stuff there...

Example...kitchen cupboard number 1...on closer inspection, this cupboard houses about 8 dozen ikea tealights, a selection of unused facepaints, and attachments for a food processor I no longer own. At some point, I clearly thought that I should store these items together, along with a hoover attachment whose function is unknown, and a chess board with no chess pieces. Should I need to make up a board game using kitchen attachments whilst disguised as a tiger in the dark, I am soooo there....

And the drawer...I have a drawer containing stuff that has no purpose in this life of the next. I have a whole selection of spare buttons that came with new clothes that I don't have anymore. A spare set of cutlery....I don't know enough people to get that much cutlery out, and would never chose to invite them all round at once. And mini screwdrivers...actually, I do remember getting those out of a cracker and thinking how useful they would be to tighten the screws on glasses. I don't wear glasses. But I might one day.

So maybe she was right....but how do you get rid of this stuff? It's one thing to admit you don't want or need it (or even know you owned it) but to actually throw it out? Would I wish any of this stuff on anyone else, if I sent it to a charity shop? Surely that is just passing my burden onto someone else. They may see my kenwood attachments and wonder if they would fit their own food processor, and when they don't (which they won't) will then have to store them in their kitchen cupboard number 1. I can't do that to another human...

So for now I will tolerate these items. I think she may start filtering them out of the house when I'm not looking to see how long it will take before I notice. News flash... I may never notice. I may just be grateful for an empty cupboard and drawer to fill with the black kitchen utensils gifted to me last Christmas, and the stack of post I collect for the previous homeowners which I can't throw away but will never get round to passing on....

No comments:

Post a Comment